Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confessions of a Valentines Whore


HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE!

I hope your V-day is all you hoped it would be and more! Personally speaking, I have to laugh at how my expectations about Valentines Day have changed over the years.

For some reason, when I was in my teens and early twenties, Valentines was extremely important to me. Sadly, I never had a boyfriend until I was 18, and even then he was a bit of prick who never really bought me anything for Valentines.

In highschool, they had this little deal where you could buy Valentines hearts, address them to friends and then at the end of the day, they would be delivered. I recall begging some guys, in a coy way, who were my friends, to buy me one. My girlfriends and I of course always bought eachother one so we were guaranteed something being delivered. I remember watching as the stereotypical pretty, popular girls got their pile of Valentines hearts and I would get like 3, from my two best friends and some guy that took pity.

In my early twenties, I worked at a grocery store, and if memory serves me right, I actually begged (there's that word again), or actually hinted profusely to all the guys I worked with that it sure would be fun to get flowers on Valentines, even though I had no interest in them. My friend at the time, who I suspected was gay, came through with a haggard bouquet of red carnations...awwww.

I dated a guy for awhile who was fun but who I was really not overly attracted to. He was smitten with me (who knows why, I don't even think I put out, sorry, had to say it) and a few days before Valentines offered me a proposition. If I would commit and be his girlfriend, he would show me a Valentines like I had never known. Roses, jewelery, candy, and dinner out had been promised. Being the Valentine whore that I was, I actually considered it, thinking I could break up after the festivities, before I was expected to put out. But my conscience got the better of me and I declined.....my Mom still see this guy working at the same grocery chain we worked at together all those many years ago. Weird. Nice guy though.

And so I married the lovely Bill, who has come through for many years on Valentines, always surprising me with a lovely flower arrangement and sweet card. For some reason, I'm always surprised and delighted.

This year, he's sick. He wasn't out and about to do what he usually does on Valentines, and I don't care. I put a kibosh on flowers considering our newest addition, the kitten from hell, who would have his way with a bouquet quicker than flies on s&*#. Casey missed his Valentines parties at school due to a big bad case of diarrhea, so that was a bummer for him.

To make up for all of this, I ordered Case and I the "love pizzas" from Papa Romanos and got Bill a special pint of Ben n' Jerry's since that is one of the few festive things that sound good to him. I know, we are serious partyers and we need to settle down, but we know how to celebrate!

When I got home from picking up these items, there on the counter was a card from my boys. I was again surprised and delighted....at this point in my life, it doesn't get much better than this.

8 comments:

Debby said...

Ahhhh! That's my bro. Herb got me tulips yesterday, gave me a back rub and foot massage. Can't get much better than that= oh and breakfast in bed! hehe! expectations do change... hope Bill is feeling better.

motherx said...

I have to agree with you! I used to think Valentines day was so important! and it was all "How many cards did you get?" now I think its way over rated and just a fairy story really. I got a card from Rio and Fin which I loved! Much better in my opin than from anyone else.

claire p said...

Sound like you had a good day after all. Hope Casey and Bill are better now. Richard's not conventually romantic. In 18 years I think I've had one bunch of flowers a half a dozen cards on Valentines. But he'll suddenly buy me something for no reason, which I think is better in a way. I keep telling myself that anyway!

indygirl said...

That Bill, he always pulls through!
Tom gave me a card from him and a card from our dog Fletch. Very cute, plus a new Harley Davidson shirt for riding. 23 years and he is still romantic and makes it special.....I'm not a flower person, he finally figured it out after several years.

Mama Mara said...

Lucky girl! And you didn't even have to put out?

Anonymous said...

I had a very special Valentine from my son, who got engaged that night to his girl (whom we all love) we had a champagne toast,and I did not mind a bit that it was all about him( it's a MOM thing)

Big Greggie said...

What wonderful tribute to love and all that is right in this world. I have never professed to be a romantic but I do the best with little God gave me and my Annie girl does'nt seem to mind. It was very special to share in our son's day of entrapment! I kid, I kid!! It was cool and she is a very special girl. Hope that the Case and Bill are doing good now!

goodmum said...

Wow. That's awesome. :) I got a card. Woooppeee! I think it's hilarious, by the way, that you repeatedly "begged" friends for flowers/valentine's when you were so young. That's adorable!