Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bouncin' is Fun!

Anybody who has a kid with Autism and has had Occupational Therapy has probably been shown the wonders of sitting on an exercise ball for their child. We've had one for years down in our basement, although it's probably about 3 feet wide, pretty large. We've had fun over the years letting him lie on his belly over it, and while holding his feet, let him push off the floor, sorta like doing "push ups" or sitting him on top while we held him and bounced him.

But, now that he's about 5'2 and 116lbs, it's a little more difficult to do such activities! My sisters in Indiana being the work out mavens that they are both have exercise balls that are a bit smaller, and somehow he always finds them when we visit, and loves to bounce himself. It's great proprioceptive activity, and very calming, yet an energy burner at the same time.


I finally bought one for our house and it's a hit. I totally suggest one for any kid, especially when they're watching TV. He sits on one at school as well while working. Even better, it cost 10 bucks at Walmart!

7 comments:

rainbowmummy said...

I know this would be a hit in our house too. I actually bought one last year, not been out the box, don't even know where it is..... Oh you have the same type of floor as me! Is Casey as NOISY as Egg I wonder?!

claire p said...

Good idea. Jamie was bought a space hopper a while ago. I should think that might work in the same way. Might finally get it blown up!

Thank you for you kind offer to email you if I need to. I might well take you up on that. And you can do the same anytime.

kia (good enough mama) said...

Dang. I guess I really SHOULD let Little Man use ours, huh? I"m just so paranoid about it crashing into something breakable. Frig. I hate it when something annoying to me is good for my kid.... ;)

Marla said...

Oh yes! We have two and both M and me love them. I use mine for my exercises and M has learned how to exercise with it as well. My nephew loves to play with it as well. In fact, all the kids that come over can't seem to leave it alone. They are lots of fun. Glad you all enjoy it!

Mama Mara said...

We too are big fans of the big ball, as well as an inflatable shaped like a giant peanut. We have three inflatables, so sometimes the whole family is watching TV and bouncing. I always wonder what the neighbors think when they see our heads bobbing in and out of view through the window.

Amanda Bell said...

Im probley to late for this website but what good does the ball do?

Bonnie Davis said...

Amamda, never too late!! The ball is excellent for all the reasons I stated! I don't know what more to say, you just have to try it on your kiddo!