Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Uneventful, but Satisfying Doctor Visit

Last night we had an appointment with our doctor, who is sorta kinda a DAN doc. We started seeing him because we knew our insurance would cover it, and we have seen some changes in Case with his guidance on supplementation. We had gone to another awesome DAN doctor, but just that one appointment was over $700 out of pocket. Needless to say, we went with this current doc, since we could forsee each and every visit and consultation costing that much and more, with no insurance assistance in sight.

He's ok, sort of overwhelmed it seems, a little scary sometimes. But, I maintain that what he has suggested for us has helped Casey with his speech, eye contact, and focus (here and there). He's still Autistic, always will be dammit. But it's just like anything else, people take vitamins to stay healthy. They take Vit. C to prevent colds, St. John's Wart to improve their mood, calcium to strengthen their bones. Thusly, I see nothing wrong with giving Casey things that have come from nature, and not labs, to help him be the best he can be.

So, I think I've justified why we take him to this guy. I'm not about "curing". I am not Jenny M., although I wish I had her figure!

I told Casey about the appointment yesterday afternoon so as not to cause too much worry. He hates doctor visits (who doesn't?). He quickly told me then and throughout the time preceeding our appointment, that "this is not a check-up, no shots, no blood pressure check, no heart thing!". Yeah ok....

Anyhoot, during our appointment, Casey was very high strung, having a lot of anxiety. At our first appointment in June, blood had been drawn, a rather terrifying experience for him. On our second, the doc administered a b-12 shot on him, to see if we saw changes. We did. On the 3rd visit, he showed me, yes me, how to administer a b-12 shot and had me do it right then and there. All these experiences have added up to trauma for Case, and thus his anxiety.

The doc seemed tired, it was their late business hours day. We discussed a few things (one of which thrills me to no end, and that is stopping the b-12 shots to see if it's something else helping him that we have been giving at the same time). He said Casey had gained 7lbs since July (I didn't tell him I probably did too) but said his BMI was good. He grew an inch or so too, in 4 months. Scary!

Casey was spinning around on the doctors chair, one of those stool things with wheels. Suddenly out of the blue, he goes "I'm in the Olympics, and this is my sport!". The doc looked at me, and I him and we cracked up. Something in the doctor's face suddenly took on a happier feel, as if he felt something he was doing for this kid was working.

There were no shots tonight, no blood pressure taking, no heart thing.

And with that, he prescribed some new item to try, and our appointment was done, much to the joy and happiness of one little boy who was on his way to the elevator before I was finished paying my co-pay....

5 comments:

rainbowmummy said...

I am very anti evrything Jenny McCurbie stands for, but oh the things I would do for her hair! LMAO.

BTW I wanted to say thank you for your lovely comment, I have put up a little thank you post :0)

Rebecca said...

It's great to have an uneventful doctor's visit under your belt — a few more of those and maybe Casey will enjoy the trips!

Tell Casey I'm happy to coach him for 2012. Not to brag, but I'm pretty good at office chair sitting. ;-)

Bobbi said...

That's great that he didn't have any shots. Sorry the appointment was kind of uneventful. Sometimes it seem like you have to be poor to get good services. We're not poor, but income wise we are low and we get tons of services free. WTG Casey for growing so tall!

Marla said...

I love the chair olympics! M is so wild on those chairs. Ugh.

We have tried lots of alternative stuff with M. We stopped that when she was about six when it seemed nothing helped. I think a lot of things are worth a shot and as parents we have to decide that ourselves.

M is on medications and I make no apologies for that. They help her learn, focus, sleep and play. We have had it both ways and they sure make a huge difference.

I am on medications too for my health problems. Lots of supplements. The hardest thing for us is the cost of it all. Sooooo expensive!

I would love to hear more about what C is on and what is helpful. M takes a vitamin B but never a shot. I never knew that would be an option. Very interesting.

Oh, and I think women are prettier with curves.;)

therextras said...

Ditto what Marla said, er, regarding trying things and going with what works.

B-12 is given in a shot if it is suspected that it won't be absorbed in the gi tract. In fact some people have B-12 shortage because they can no longer absorb it in their gut.
Barbara