Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Miracle Belt...Does it Work?

I recently learned about a new sensory item on the news that worked like a weighted vest but wasn't quite as cumbersome. The report went on to mention how it helped many kids with Autism and ADHD, and how it affected their proprioception and balance and really helped them to focus more and be in tune with their bodies. It's a weighted belt called a Miracle Belt.

Casey's biggest issue at school is focus, and if you ever saw him walk, you know that he has trouble with knowing where his body is in space. In the past, I've had him carry a backpack with something heavy in it and you can tell a difference. So this Miracle Belt was appealing and I read up on it. www.miraclebelt.com

I finally broke down and got one, they aren't cheap but we felt like it could be helpful. So, after I got it and showed Casey, his first response was "Send that back!". Great! He went on to say that it was for babies, and it "hurt" after I bribed him to wear it for 2 minutes.

The same week I bought this cheapie little magazine that I like and came across an article about a boy with ADHD and how that very belt worked for him. It's in Woman's World magazine if you're interested in reading it. The mom in the story used a great idea of telling her son the belt would give him magic powers to think better. She's brilliant, I yelled at Casey to put it on, not making him like it at all. I actually read the article to him, and believe it or not, I think I sold him on it. Thank God for second chances!

So, presently, we are at the point where he will wear it when he does his homework. Now granted, this has only been in the last 3 days, but I can tell a difference when he's doing his work. Oddly, his writing, which is, let's face it, horrific, has been smaller, more precise, more legible. When I told him last night to do 4 worksheets his teacher had sent home (and requested I not help him with, that's another blog), he sat for a good 10 to 15 minutes straight, completing each one with just a little bit of encouragement from me to get things done. I was really bowled over! I looked over the work when he had finished, and although not perfect, or even correct at some points, he still sat, for a looong time, and finished. And he never tried to escape or complain! Stunning! A miracle in and of itself!

I am in no way selling these Miracle belts or am I affiliated with the company, but I just thought I would share my experience thus far. I know as a parent with a kid like Case, it's always nice to hear first hand what works and what doesn't, and this thing really seems to help him! Fortunately, they do have a trade in program because as the kid grows, so does the need for more weight in the belt. Right now the one he wears is about 4lbs.

I'll continue to report on any more improvements or miracles we see come from it, and I will be equally as eager to report how crappy it turned out to be. But I'm hoping for the best!

12 comments:

Mama Mara said...

I'm eager to hear your next report. I want to believe in miracles.

kia (good enough mama) said...

This sounds awesome. Bring on the miracles!!!

I have a miraculous (ok, that's a stretch) giveaway on my blog. Come see it! You might be interested. :)

JoyMama said...

Interesting! Note to self - must bookmark & come back to this product!

We've been using a homemade weighted vest (a modified floatie-vest with weights instead of floats!), and also wrapping her torso in a big piece of lycra fabric when she's about to sit & work on something. Both seem useful. The belt idea is one that hasn't come up before though. Hmmm.

Marla said...

I debated getting one of these as well. I know M would refuse to wear it though. She is so fashion aware. Argh.

I sure hope it helps. Keep us posted!

Angela-Upstate NY said...

I just ordered one for my 7 yr old daughter with ADHD. Of course, AFTER I ordered it I went looking for reviews! I am willing to try anything if its only $50, +/-. We do not medicate yet, so we are still hopefull in finding alternatives...I am very hopeful after reading another mom's positive personal experience! I saw it too in the Womans world magazine. Best of luck to you!

Kwest said...

I am a mother of an ADHD child with sensory and impulsivity issues. Our Occupational Therapist reccommendid this belt so I am glad to hear you say you like it. I am going to give it a try.
Also, we do not medicate our son either but have had him on herbal supplements for almost 2 years. They do not solve the problem but they cartainly help. We use nativeremedies.com. I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just want to pass on anything that might help.

Anonymous said...

I am wanting to know if the miracle belt worked well for ur son as i am considering getting one for my adhd child i have not seen ur updated blog as of yet thanks

Emily said...

I too am hoping for an update on how the miracle belt worked long term for your son. Also, wondering if he ever wore it at school?

Amanda Bell said...

did this belt work does your little man still wear it?

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in an update , too! Perhaps the rest of us should get in contact with eachother and pass reviews on amongst ourselves. :-). I think I will start off with the Sensacalm lap blanket for my 6 yr old with SPD . These prices are crazy!!

Amanda Bell said...

i totally agree if you are interested you can find me on facebook under drawtism and the picture is a red pencil. let me know how you went with the lap blanket!

Anonymous said...

Its interesting when I here people complain about the price of the miracle belt. But when it comes to tech gadgets, big screen T.Vs,and parties, money is no option. I own two miracle belts and the weighted vest. For the price, its cheap. And like its called, its a true miracle for our child with serious problems of behavior.