Friday, October 24, 2008

Free Answers in Honor of SPD Awareness Month

I have perusing everyone's blogs lately and noting that many have recognized that it is indeed Sensory Processing Disorder Awareness Month. I was trying to come up with some way that I could properly recognize it here in my little neck of the blogging world, and had a "lightbulb" moment last night in the hot tub! No, not my own hot tub unfortunately. I am going to throw this out here and if I get any feedback, great. If not, it will just remind me of how few people read my blog, which won't be surprising.

So, my idea is to offer the services of my personal Occupational Therapist and sister to all of you. No, she can't come to your house, but, I can give people a chance to send me questions about your kid that you would like to ask an Occupational Therapist and I will relay them on to her and let her answer them for you! They can be about Sensory Processing, stimming, handwriting, behaviors, etc. She isn't a doctor of course, but she has been doing this for over 20 years, and most of those in a grade school setting. She deals with kids with Autism, PDD, ADHD, ADD, LODOFD (I made that one up, but you get the picture!). She has spoken at conferences on Sensory Issues among others. She is downright awesome.

I thought this might be a cool thing to do for people who don't have an OT at their disposal, or perhaps are not pleased with the OT they get at school, and want to know how to fix that. Just anything. I hope to get lots of questions for her, and I will keep your name anonymous if you wish.

If you have a question or two, just send them to my email address, let me know if you want your name connected to it, and I will pass it along to her and get an answer. Once I get this all together, I will make a huge post of these questions which will hopefully help not only the asker but others! My email is bbdavis6469@yahoo.com. so ask away.

I wanted to ask too if you are somewhat familiar with my blog if you would make some of your readers aware of this little service I am offering. I think this could be really cool, and if I get enough responses, maybe my sis could become a weekly guest!

Looking forward to your questions and thanks!

6 comments:

DJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobbi said...

Hi,
I don't have any questions just yet because Parker has an OT. If I think of something I will definately ask. Great idea!

Mama Mara said...

I always have questions, lots and lots of questions. Be very afraid, OT lady.

In the meantime, I am definitely sending some folks your way soon. Check in with my blog in the morning!

EC said...

What a great idea, good for you Bonnie.

Kim said...

What a fantastic offer. If only I had found an offer like this when I was trying to figure out how to get my little guy to quit licking his hand.

rainbowmummy said...

This is the best idea ever!!! Well done you!!!