Friday, September 26, 2008

Indulge Me if You Will...




I like to recollect back to the birth of Casey around his birthday each year. You know, kinda thinking, what was I doing the day before, how fat I was, how swollen? So, this being the day before his 10th birthday, I was doing just that as I drove home from buying him some b-day gifts (yes, I did find some).

So indulge me if you will as I share what was happening at this point in my life 10 years ago. I promise it won't be long, I have a pretty bad memory.

The week prior to this, I had been in the hospital to be induced even though I wasn't due until October. They had determined through ultrasound that the placenta was "looking old" what ever that meant so on top of the fact that I had off the scale blood pressure and had been home for a month with my feet up eating salt free foods, they wanted that baby out!

So we eagerly got to the hospital early one morning and they started IV pitocin and sticking little capsules of some inducement drug up where the sun don't shine all that day and night. Needless to say, nothing happened. Let down and sore, we went back home, to wait some more.

That following Saturday, I didn't feel good at all. It was hot out, I was still swollen. I was laying in bed sorta dozing when I literally heard a POP and had to suddenly rush to the bathroom.

I was told that most women's water never broke, so I never imagined mine would. But as I sat on the toilet, and pee'd, and pee'd some more, and then felt I had stopped peeing, but it was still coming out, I surmised that my water had indeed broken! I called my friend Paulette to confirm, and she did, and told me to get to the hospital. I wasn't really having contractions or any pain so I wasn't too concerned at that point.

Bill laid trash bags across my seat in the car (he's a little anal) and we grabbed my suitcase and made a mad dash for the hospital. There they got me all comfy, hooked me up to an IV, my sister arrived to help Bill coach me on, AND THE REST IS A FRICKIN NIGHTMARE!

TO BE CONTINUED

7 comments:

Mama Mara said...

Okay, so I was indulging you by reading this and then you torture me with a cliff-hanger? Not fair!

I'll be back for more, of course.

DJ said...

Your words bring out every ounce of beauty that is the miracle of childbirth. I laughed, I cried, I ate a snack.

kristi said...

Oh gosh, I can't wait to read the rest!

Osh said...

that is a great picture of the boy!

Mama Mara said...

Where's part two? I have half a mind to take back the award I just gave you... just kidding. You totally deserve the award that I just gave you. Come on over and see!

Marla said...

I love thinking back to when we first met M at the hospital. Birthdays sure do bring back those memories.

I am guessing you had a rough delivery from the sounds of it. ugh.

I love love love the photo.

EC said...

Bonnie, please continue! We're thinking of getting pregnant in about a year so I'm reading every pregnancy & birth story I can find.

Happy Birthday Casey!