Thursday, July 31, 2008

T-shirt Idea..Good or Obnoxious?

The staring is getting worse! I have posted about this subject in the past but it has really been bothering me again lately again. I have noticed that people are getting worse and worse about staring a Casey as he is getting taller and older. I recall Autism Vox speaking in one of her blogs about Autism ribbons, and how she really doesn't like to bring more attention to her son with such items than he already brings himself.

I somewhat agree, but at the same time, I really want to make people feel silly, and a little ashamed for staring. One of my closest friends told me about these little cards that some people hand out when their child might be having a tantrum or some odd behavior that migt compell people to stare. That's an ok idea but I have begun to have my own and I'd like to throw this out to the general public and see what others think.

I would like to make Casey a t-shirt (and please, let me know if this is already in production, and where I can get one, then I won't have to even question myself if someone else thought of it) that reads-"I'M AUTISTIC..YOU CAN STOP STARING NOW!" I think that is straight to the point. And if you weren't staring and read it, then you won't be offended, but I think if you were staring and you read it, you'd feel pretty dumb, but a wee bit educated at the same time.

I just get really frustrated at the way grown-ups imparticular stare, as if he doesn't notice, or I don't. It's almost as if they have a license to stare since he might look so strange sometimes. You'd think they'd know better. I have come to terms with children staring, and if they are in close enough proximity, I might even ask them if they know Casey. When they say no, I usually reply something to the effect of "Oh, well you were staring at him so much I thought you might!". That usually gets them to come up with some excuse or they quickly leave the scene.

But I believe a t-shirt with the afore mentioned saying might just do the trick! I agree with Kristina Chew that I don't want to bring more attention than he is already bringing, but at the same time, I want people to feel dumb and realize why he is the way he is at the same time. Bill, my husband thinks it's obnoxious. I disagree. I know I should just get over it but, but, but...I can't!

Any thoughts?......

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

I know they have some, but maybe not that one. I'd like one for Parker myself. I need to order one from Cafe press.

Marla said...

Everyone has their own opinions on this. I certainly don't write mine here to upset anyone. I have seen the shirts on Cafe Press and they make me feel quite uncomftorable. I also would never put the puzzle pieces on my car.

I would never in a million years put a shirt like that on my daughter.

My thought is...would I want to wear a shirt that states my special needs/health issues on it? The answer for me is always a big huge no.

If I was to ask M if she would like a shirt like that I know she would say no and wonder why on earth I would consider such a thing.

When she was younger and would not have understood what the shirt meant...I still would never have done it.

People stared, especially during her full on melt downs.

I think the card would be a lot more private and possibly educational depending on what it says.

People will not stop staring just because he has a t-shirt on. If anything, it could make it worse and bring on more whispering and talking. Just wearing the shirt may be controversial and draw even more attention.

Counseling helped me a lot with my fears and hurt feelings regarding other peoples reactions/staring.

Good luck making your choice.

Maddy said...

I fought with this one a long time. The bigger they get the more 'outraged' the general public seems to be.

I did have a pal who handed out cards [polite brief ones] but the majority of people then responded something like 'well if he's autistic you shouldn't bring him camping / shopping / to the park......etc.

Maybe we should just bring back a general campaign, the one I grew up with 'it's rude to stare!' [at anyone.]
Best wishes